It is important to know the materials you sleep on. After all, you will sleep on and under them for 6 – 8 hours every night of your life. So shouldn’t you be considering materials that are least likely to cause you harm? When it comes to choosing materials, natural is best!
So, what is the best bedding is for achieving a perfect sleep… look no further than the almost magical properties of WOOL. But, what is it about wool that makes it so special and beneficial to your health? And why is wool better than alternative synthetic or natural fibres?
You might consider other natural materials such as down which has long been a popular choice. However, down is not intrinsically flame resistant and so chemicals are added in the processing to achieve this. Down does not allow for the regulation of body temperature or allow excess heat to escape. In addition, down materials enable dust mites to inhabit, making it unsuitable for much of the population who suffer from allergies.
Wool is not only luxurious and comfortable to sleep with, wool is a protein fibre formed in the skin of sheep which is entirely natural and renewable. Science is yet to produce a fibre that can match nature’s best offering and its unique properties.
How Wool’s Unique Properties Can Benefit You:
- Naturally flame-resistant without the addition of chemicals.
- Hypo-allergenic – in other words, it repels dust mites and the growth of other bacteria and so is a great choice for allergy sufferers. It is rare but possible for people to have a natural allergy to Lanolin (the oil found in wool). Although, most people’s allergy to wool is a reaction to the harsh and toxic petrochemicals that go into the treatment and finishing of conventional wool garments or bedding. So, not all wool is equal! When raw wool is processed to remove some of the lanolin, many manufacturers use abrasive chemical agents such as sulphuric acid and chlorine before creating the final product. Look for a manufacturer who processes the raw wool without chemicals and uses only safe, biodegradable soap. With Naturelle wool products, NO such chemicals are used, so you can rest assured that your bedding is completely NON-TOXIC.
- Clean. Wool resists static, dirt and dust. This makes it easy to clean because any dirt will sit on the surface of the fibre. The outside surface of the wool fibre consists of a series of overlapping scales, similar to the feathers on a bird, making it easy to brush off and for stains to lift out.
- Breathable. Wool allows moisture to pass through without becoming trapped. So it is naturally resistant to mildews and moulds which require moisture to live and grow, making it the best choice of material for bedding. Wool fibre can naturally absorb up to 30% of their weight without feeling heavy or damp, whilst cotton fabrics begin to feel damp after 15%. The fibres ‘breathe’ by taking moisture away from the body and releasing it into the air. It can even reduce floating dust in the environment, as the fibre’s microscopic scales are able to trap and hold dust in the top layers until vacuumed away. It’s just like magic!
- A natural insulator, regulating your body temperature by keeping you warm in winter and cool in summer. Because it is naturally breathable you will sleep comfortably all night long. Scientific studies1, 2 have been done internationally to prove that wool can improve your quality of sleep by 25%, leaving you feeling fully rested and revitalised each morning. We also know the proven benefits of nurturing our babies in wool as studies have shown that babies sleeping on wool, sleep deeper and more restfully. This also results in faster rates of growth.
- Biodegradable and kinder to the environment.
- Super strong. Wool fibres resist tearing and research has shown that they are able to be bent back on themselves over 20,000 times without breaking. Cotton breaks after 3,200 bends, silk fibres break after 1,800 bends and rayon fibres break after just 75 bends. Just another reason why wool lasts and lasts and lasts.
Campaign for Wool
We at Naturelle, are proud members of the Campaign for Wool. We’re a family business, and that means if you need to talk, you can speak to someone who genuinely cares. Someone who is passionate about the benefits of sleeping with wool. We go the extra mile because we believe that a good night’s sleep is your right. Wool is a miracle fibre and the highest quality sleeping material available. It’s worth the investment. Naturelle wool products for the perfect night’s sleep. Are you ready to reap the benefits of wool pillows, duvets, mattresses and more? Don’t delay, improve your sleep today.